For the first hour of today’s show, Marc spoke with the organizers of the Shades of Freedom Film Festival that will take place this weekend (April 25-26) in Baltimore. The festival will focus on the slavery, reconstruction, and Jim Crow periods of American history, in addition to various panel discussions regarding the films. Our panel of guests included:
- April Yvonne Garrett – Founder and President of Civic Frame
- Rosalyn Teoberg Penn – University President Emirita and history consultant, Morgan State University
- F. Michael Higginbotton – Professor of Law at the University of Baltimore Law School
- Dante James – Emmy Award winning producer and director, Slavery and the Making of America
- David Taft Terry – Executive Director of the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History and Culture
And then we briefly spoke with a filmmaker whose work you can see at the upcoming Maryland Film Festival.
- Issac Chung – director of the award winning film, Munyurangabo