February 28, 2013 – Hour 2
We travel to a part of Baltimore that thousands of people drive over every day, yet have no idea it exists: an encampment of homeless people living in tents under I-83, just across the street from the city’s largest homeless shelter. On March 8, City officials are planning to shut down the encampment. Residents of “Camp 83,” however, are fighting back, demanding that the city provide adequate housing if they force them to leave. You will hear from:
- Bonnie Lane, local activist and journalist who is on the editorial board of Word On The Street;
- Olivia Farrow, Director of the Mayor’s Office of Human Services;
- Gabby Knighton, Outreach Coordinator for the Mayor’s Office of Human Services, Homeless Services Program;
- Rachel Kutler and Tam Kelley, University of Maryland School of Social Work students who have been working with the organization Housing Our Neighbors;
- Adam Schneider, Coordinator of Community Relations for Health Care for the Homeless;
- and several residents of Camp 83.
Join us at 7am on Friday, March 8th at The Fallsway and Madison Street to show your support for the people of Camp 83.