Our Wire podcast series continues with a forty minute interview with David Simon! Sunday is getting closer. In the meantime, hear what The Wire’s creator has to say about the show.
Right click here and select “Save Target As” in order to download this onto your computer.
Click here to download the interview transcript.
“The Wire to me is one of the funniest shows about the decline of the American empire that’s ever been written.”
“Politically, I am a pessimist at this point. I don’t believe we can actually even recognize our fundamental problems, much less begin to address them. And that is what the last season of The Wire was about…I’d love The Wire to be wrong about everything. This is not a gleeful pessimism, it’s a worried pessimism. And if The Wire is wrong, nobody will be happier than me.”
“Every single drama that is offered up for popular entertainment is on some level a political or cultural form of pornography, and I’m tired of it and it bores the hell out of me.”
“I apparently am the angriest man in television, which, I take that as a vague manner of praise, but I think it’s rather faint. The second angriest man in television, I believe, is by a kidney shaped pool with his cellphone in Bel Air somewhere, and he’s screaming because he doesn’t have enough points on the DVD’s.”
Here are just a few of the thousands of interviews with and articles about David Simon.
- Stealing Life: The Crusader behind The Wire in the New Yorker, October 22nd, 2008.
- Interview: Talking With the Creator of One of T.V.’s Best and Smartest Shows in Rolling Stone, September 25th, 2005.
- Under the Wire from Baltimore City Paper, May 28th 2003
- Q&A David Simonin Undercover Black Man (blog), January 22nd, 2007.
- Exclusive Q&A with David Simonfrom The Wire on HBO (fansite), August 16th 2006
- ‘The Wire’s’ David Simon from Fresh Air from WHYY, September 23rd, 2004
Check back tomorrow for the next installment in The CEM Wire podcast series, an interview with Robert Chew, the actor who portrays Prop Joe! Much more to come as well, including an interview with Andre Royo, pictured above with David Simon.