It’s our latest edition of Sound Bites! This week we ask the question: Are organic foods really more nutritious than other foods? A recent study by Stanford University says “No.” But who funded that study? And what does organic mean?
You will hear voices from all sides of this issue, from both Eastern Shore farmers and policy experts, as we explore the differences among organic farms. We will look at organic farms that use pesticides and those that don’t. We will examine organic farms that use animal and crop rotation, a practice that some argue puts powerful nutrients in our food. Our guests are:
- Nick Maravell of Nick’s Organic Farm about the history of organic agriculture;
- Ted Wycall of Greenbranch Organic Farm;
- James Adkins of the Wicomico County Young Farmers;
- Christie Wilcox, New York Times commentator;
- Tom Philpott, food and ag blogger for Mother Jones and co-founder of Maverick Farms;
- and Chuck Benbrook, Research Professor at the Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources at Washington State University.