September 2, 2013 – Hours 1 & 2
Happy Labor Day! We celebrate with a 2-hour special of interviews and music. You will hear local activists, union members, and workers talk about what Labor Day means in 2013 and what major challenges workers face across the country, interspersed with songs by Woody Guthrie, Bo Diddley, Tracy Chapman, Joan Baez, and others.
Our guests include: Bill Barry, retired Director of Labor Studies at the Community College of Baltimore County and author of Union Strategies for Hard Times and From First Contact to First Contract: A Union Organizer’s Handbook; Cory McCray, an organizer for his local union and co-founder of B.E.S.T. Democratic Club; Jasmin Jones, server and union leader at Duclaw, operated by Aeroservices Group at BWI Airport; and Mike Hachey, organizer with Unite Here! Local 7.
To see our playlist of songs from this episode, click “More…” below.
Steiner Show Labor Day 2013 Playlist
1. Bo Diddley – Sixteen Tons
2. Harry Belafonte – Banana Boat Song
3. Almanac Singers – Roll The Union On
4. Billy Bragg – There Is Power In The Union
5. Leadbelly – John Henry
6. Phil Ochs – The Ballad Of Joe Hill
7. Utah Phillips – Dump The Bosses
8. Joan Baez – Bread and Roses
9. Leadbelly – The Bourgeois Blues
10. Woody Guthrie – There’s A Better World Coming
11. Tracy Chapman – Talking about a Revolution
12. Ryan Harvey – Can’t Turn Back
13. Nina Simone – Revolution
14. Pete Seeger – Solidarity Forever