September 30, 2013 – Segment 1
Our first topic today is the Common Core, educational standards intended to bring curricula that vary from state-to-state into alignment with one other. We begin our conversation by examining the theory behind Common Core and then move into a discussion of its implementation. Our guests are:
- RiShawn Biddle, editor of Dropout Nation, an education reform magazine;
- Mike McShane, education research fellow at the American Enterprise Institute;
- Dr. Neal P. McCluskey, Associate Director of the Center for Educational Freedom at the Cato Institute;
- Kalman “Buzzy” Hettleman, former Baltimore City School Board member;
- Dr. Morna McDermott, one of the administrators for United Opt Out and a co-organizer of Occupy the Department of Education;
- and Lynette Guastaferro, Executive Director of Teaching Matters.