February 21, 2013 – Hour 2
This week, we continue our conversation with Food and Water Watch Executive Director and author of Foodopoly: The Battle Over the Future of Food and Farming in America, Wenonah Hauter. She discusses the deregulation and consolidation of the food industry, and how it affects the way we eat.
Then we listen back to a panel discussion at Breaking Ground, the Real Food Challenge’s second national summit, which was held last weekend at Johns Hopkins University. The roundtable discussion brought together cafeteria workers, student activists, farmers, food distributors, and institutional leaders to explore the ways that they’re changing the food system. We are joined by:
- Activist Sergio Espana of the United Workers and the Student-Farmworker Alliance;
- Johns Hopkins food service worker, Marie Wilson;
- physical therapist and activist Louise Mitchell of Maryland Hospitals for a Healthy Environment;
- organic farmer Joan Norman of One Straw Farm;
- and local sales coordinator for Common Market Philadelphia, Zoe Lloyd.
Then, vegan and raw food chef Skai Davis shares a seasonal pumpkin recipe with us.